Saturday, November 29, 2008

Let the madness begin!


We had a good Thanksgiving here at the Streeter's, so much to be thankful for! Olivia didn't have school on Wednesday so we went out to breakfast, did some grocery shopping and went to see "Bolt". (Cute movie, by the way!) Dad, Roger, Emmy, Donald, Cristy and McKenna came for dinner on Thursday, along with our friends, Christina and Hannah. I always make way too much food, but my brother (the human garbage disposal) will take all the left overs. (Mom used to call him Jethro because he would eat Raisin Bran out of her mixing bowls, like Jethro on Beverly Hillbillies!). Dad was the last to arrive, first to leave (probably had a hot date). Christina had brought their Wii, but I couldn't convince Dad to play. I told him that he should practice bowling for when he goes into a home. (He didn't find that funny at all). We rented a couple of games to see which ones we like, since Santa's coming thru with a Wii. We didn't like "Cooking Mama" and Olivia didn't like "Mario Cart". I found out I'm AWESOME at bowling, but TERRIBLE at baseball (the mercy rule kicked in, I struck out every time). Christina and I watched McDreamy in "Made of Honor" and made our Walmart list for Friday morning. I kept Hannah all night so Christina did that insane 5 am thing, but they did have some good deals.

I took the girls to the Santa Parade on Friday. It was sunny, but cold. It was a good parade, almost 1 1/2 hours long! Then we hit the mall to see if there were any hot deals left (there weren't). The mall was pretty full, so I don't know if people were shopping or buying. We really should avoid the mall in the future. They have a Build a Bear in there now and it's one of Olivia's big vices. They have a boy and girl moose (Hal and Holly) and Hal's antler's light up. So after serious negotiation (and plain old begging) Olivia got them with Aunt Emmy's Christmas money, with the condition they get wrapped up for Christmas and Olivia has to look appropriately surprised. Chinese food seemed like a great alternatives to left overs, so dinner was easy!

Olivia and I are working on the Christmas decorations today. I don't know why I'm so unmotivated about it this year. It seems like a chore. So I'm playing some Dean Martin and Nat King Cole to get me in the mood. It's one of those times I miss my Mom the most. She was always good at supervising where the tree was bare and what was missing. Mostly she just loved Christmas! I hope I can pass on some of that Joy to Olivia. What an amazing Grandma she would have been to Olivia. They would have been the best of friends.

Busy week ahead, Olivia has a birthday party tomorrow after church (for Max, whom she has a crush on). I have a girl scout cookie meeting on Tuesday (whoopie) and then Thursday night is the school's Christmas concert, Friday night is the church play and Saturday is the PTO Santa Breakfast at Olivia's school. I'm having surgery on my left elbow on December 10th, so I want to have Christmas shopping and baking done before then (fat chance). The incision will be much smaller this time and recovery much faster (3 weeks as opposed to 9), so I should be feeling good by Christmas. It's just a busy time to be throwing surgery in there!

Anyway, continue to keep the Pequettes in your prayers, Kim is having surgery on her spine this week. Also, please pray for our friends the Kurtzes, who lost their oldest child, Connie, this year. It will be a tough holiday season for them. I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving and stop to enjoy the message of Christ this season and appreciate "The Gift" that God sent us.

Deb




1 comment:

Christy said...

You are so crazy busy!!

I didn't know [till now...guess that's why we blog] you were having another surgery. Is it on/near the same place for the same reason??

Love hearing how you are!!
Christy