Saturday, January 31, 2009

Beware Lovers of Power Rangers...

Two weeks since my last post, I'll try to catch you all up!

First, let me say that we got above freezing today and it felt WONDERFUL! We have spent most of January in the teens (or less), and I couldn't believe how good 40 degrees felt today. Maybe there's hope for February. Olivia and I had lunch at Steak and Shake (Kids eat free on weekends-love that!) and went to see Inkheart at the movies. I thought it was very good, Olivia was confused in a few parts, but she did like it.

Since Laf's been off work, Olivia has been riding the bus home from school. She'd always wanted to ride the bus, but the excitement has worn off. Apparently, there's a boy on the bus that's told another girl in her class that he likes Olivia, but she has reassured me that there's no way she'd ever marry anyone who likes Power Rangers. Good to know!

Last Saturday night we went out for pizza with our neighbors from the campground. Out of the 4 couples, 3 of them have either the wife or husband laid off. Caterpillar announced several more hundred layoffs yesterday, so the recession has finally caught up to us here in Peoria.

My class for this semester started last week. It's a sociology class studying gender. So far, it's not too bad, there's a discussion question each week for you to post messages, some lecture readings and a short paper due this week. It's just hard getting back into the habit of homework after the long holiday break.

Olivia's report card confirmed another "C" in math. She's very disappointed as this is the only grade keeping her off the honor roll. We keep on working at it! This week they had spirit week at her school and everyone had a great time. Monday was Bee Day (Big B's are part of their behavioral system), Tuesday was crazy hat day, Wednesday was sports day, Thursday was crazy hair day and Friday was pajama day. The kids had such fun with all the themes. Would you believe I didn't take one picture???? I can't believe it myself, the mornings are always so rushed.

I've had a bad chest cold for the last couple of weeks, I can't seem to shake the cough. I haven't had a chest cold in a long time, and I am definitely tired of coughing, it's even waking me up in the night. All the over the counter stuff hasn't really worked, I'm sure it's just taking its course. So keep me in your prayers for healing!

Please continue to pray for the Pequettes, they are checking out treatment options and I love Kim's fighting spirit. Please also pray for all those out of work, including Lafayette. I hope something turns the job market around (sooner than later!)

Thanks to all who bought Girl Scout Cookies! Olivia exceeded her troop goal and sold 180 boxes!

I do have an awesome praise to share! I always do our own taxes as they are very simple. I was comparing this year's state return to last years and saw that last year's refund was larger. After recalculating the math, I realized an error in my math in last year's return, and so we received too much refund (Olivia has apparently inherited my math genius). Just as I was worrying where I was going to get the money to repay the overpayment, I got a check in the mail Friday to cover almost all of it!! I had forgotten that I was due a payment from the retirement system from when I was off for surgery last month! I was so thankful for this very timely blessing!!

I hope all is well with you.. Let's hope the Groundhog leads us to an early spring on Monday!

No comments: