Sunday, January 18, 2009

Be careful what you wish for...

Remember last week, when I made that comment about the fact we never get enough snow around here to have any fun? Well, I guess that "prayer" went from my lips to God's ears because we got 6 inches of snow on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, it was followed by BITTER cold weather, so it still wasn't much fun. On Thursday, the temp never got above five below zero, and Friday wasn't a whole lot better. Peoria schools were even closed on Thursday and Friday, which is kind of a rarity, so with Monday off for the MLK holiday, Olivia "enjoyed" another long break from school. Every cloud has a silver lining I guess, since Laf is laid off, we didn't have to worry about finding daycare when school was closed! But he and Olivia drove me crazy, they really drive each other crazy. The funniest was Olivia calling me Thursday around lunch time, wailing..."He wont let me eat cereal for lunch!!!!" But they made it through just fine. They also mapped out Olivia's future occupation...she told me they watched "COPS", so now she wants to be a police officer so she can catch "crinimals".

So the weather was the big story in our household this week, otherwise it was pretty lo-key. We went to see "Hotel for Dogs", which was very cute. Olivia also attended a birthday party at "Fired Up" in Peoria Heights, and it was so fun! We've heard of the place, but hadn't been before. You pick out a piece of unpainted pottery (They have everything from cups/plates/soup bowls to candle votives, jewelry boxes and piggy banks). You pick out your paint colors and paint your piece(s). Then they "fire" the pottery and you come back in a few days for your finished product. Since the painting colors are really different than the final product, I'm really anxious to see how they came out (Olivia did a teddy bear bank and I made a soup bowl). We can't wait to go back sometime!

Olivia and I were watching some inauguration coverage today and she asked why some people were crying. I explained that they were crying "happy" that Barack Obama was becoming the President, because some believed that a black man would never become president. "Why?" she asked, "it doesn't matter whether or not you're black or white, what matters on the inside". I hugged her and told her that she was right. Is it really going to be that easy? Is her generation going to grow up understanding that God made all men equal? I can only hope so!

Speaking of the soon to be President, he and all of our new leaders are at the top of my prayer requests this week. Please pray for them as the choices and decisions they make in the next few months controls the direction of our country and all its citizens. I would also like continued prayers for the Pequettes, as Kim was hospitalized with seizures this week. Please pray for me as I start my next class, a Sociology class that is based on gender equality (like I don't already believe that men should work as hard as women! :>), and for Lafayette, as he continues to think about changing careers to help find work. There were so many prayers for jobs on the church prayer list today, I pray each and everyone isn't out of work for long.

We hope you all have a wonderful week!!

No comments: