Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April Showers...







I can't believe that April is almost gone! The days have almost run together, too busy for my liking. It hasn't been a very nice Spring, weatherwise, lots and lots of rain. Listening to my neighbor's sump pump running, we're considering ourselves pretty lucky. There have been a few nice days here and there, and it hasn't kept us from camping! We've been out every weekend, and have even been thru a couple of spring storms.

My birthday was good. That weekend at the camper, the neighbors had a good cookout for me, and we had friends out with their kids for an Easter egg hunt. We went to church on Easter Sunday and then returned to the camper for a lazy afternoon...even took a nap! On Monday, Dad came in and took us all to breakfast. Then we went to Lowe's and I spent all my birthday bucks on yard stuff. Olivia was anxious to get back to school after the long Easter break (well, maybe we were more anxious than she was!)

In early April, I was voted PTO President for the next school year. It's taken a little time being brought up to speed on things that need to happen over the summer, but then a couple of big issues came up with our School Board and it turned into a little more than a little time! Our school district, along with many others across the country, have run into financial problems that are associated with lost state revenue from the recession. I'm afraid it's going to be a busy year keeping up with all the information about budget cuts.

Olivia had been complaining about a sore foot and after a couple weeks of guessing what it was, we went to the doctor and found out she had a planter's wart. I felt terrible for not bringing her in sooner. They froze it in the office and hopefully it will be gone in two weeks. If not, they'll freeze it again, which wont make Olivia happy, since she didn't like it very much!

Olivia' progress reports came in with all "A's" and "B's", even a B in math. Let's hope it holds until final report card time! She has perfect attendance for the whole year and also got an award for good behavior (she told me it was the "Amazement Behavior Award"!) We also had a few of those Olivia moments that make being a Mom so fun. The first one is when we were walking thru Kohl's looking for a new swimsuit. We passed a rack of training bras that had different colors and prints. Olivia asked if those were swimsuits and I told her no, they were training bras. She got a shocked look on her face and asked incredulously, "My boobs need training??" She also asked me what a penis was last week. I was wondering if it was time for a full blown "talk" and then I remembered that a friend had told me to just answer each question one at a time. Don't offer more information than what she's asking for. So I answered, "it's the official word for Kaiden's wee-wee." She thought about it a moment and said, "OK!" and that was that!

Last week, my Uncle Kenny and cousin, Cindy, were visiting from Seattle, so we got to go to dinner with them. He and my Dad are the last siblings in their family and have always got along, so Dad was very anxious to see them. Lafayette had gone out to Dad's for a few days to help fix a leaky roof and replace the ceiling tiles. We discovered Dad has been up on the roof himself and even fell off his stepladder trying to tear down part of the ceiling. He frustrates me like crazy! He's 83 and thinks he's 25! I have a mind to bring home all the ladders from his house, but he would probably just buy some more!

So that about brings us up to speed. We're heading into another busy month. Our girl scout troop is going to a play on Sunday, then to the State Capitol on Wednesday for a rally on the capitol steps. I've got one paper left for my class and that will be it until the fall semester. We've got the school carnival and field trips, all working up to the last school day of the year on June 5. We got some great news this week when we found out that Olivia's class is going to "loop" into third grade. This means that the entire class and teacher will all move together to third grade! When her teacher and I asked her if she'd like the same teacher for 3rd grade, Olivia was happy for a minute, then scowled and asked..."does this mean I'm getting held back?" Mrs. George and I laughed and laughed, we didn't even consider she might think that! Looping is great because the children already know the teacher's style and rules and the teacher knows where each child is academically. We're very happy!

Let's hope all this rain goes out with the end of the month and May is full of sunshine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the boobie comment... i'm contemplating the "talk" too, but fortunately i have boys so that's Mike's job.

Robin

Christy said...

OK, so I'm a little behind on reading blogs...just wanted to let you know it was great to get caught up and loved hearing news of you!!