Tuesday, December 16, 2008

typng is hrd 1-hnded

Ok, it's not quite that bad, but it takes a little longer, which is why I haven't posted yet. The surgery went well, much better than my right elbow (as anticipated). My good friend, Judy, took me to the hospital and stayed with me and kept me laughing all the way into the operating room. Because of the location of the incision the Doc decided not to splint it (hallelujah) so I have some motion, just can't lift or curl up the elbow. I did have some problems with the anesthesia this time, and am THANKING GOD for the nurse with enough fore-thought to give me an "air sick" back as she put me in the car, because I sure needed it! After a very rough Thursday and Friday, I was feeling much better by Saturday. Olivia had been such a great helper that I treated her by agreeing to go to the Christmas program at Riverside on Sat night. One of her friends was in it, but the entire production was awesome! It really boosted my spirit and put me in the right frame of mind for the holidays. Check out their website for some pics: http://www.riversidepeoria.net/about/news.asp?id=310 . The little outing took a lot out of me, so I was back in bed all day Sunday.

On Monday, I tried to wrap a couple of presents (mostly gift bags, the wrapping didn't go so well one-handed), and pick up around the house (which after 4 days looked like a tornado went thru). Tinkerbell spent some quality time in my lap while I watched a couple of movies. I ventured out for an eye doctor appt in the afternoon (my driver's ed teacher would be disappointed that my hands were at 7 and 2), and was horrified to hear the diagnosis...bifocals!! I pleaded, begged and practically cried before I convinced him I could continue to use one pair for driving and one for reading for another year. I don't know why, but bi-focals seem like a monumental gosh-you-are-REALLY-getting old step. I felt truly victorious to say "I may be overweight and have been called Grandma at Olivia's school...but at least I don't wear bi-focals!!" Hey, small victories make up your life, you know!

Today was a snowy day here. We were supposed to have our Christmas party for the Brownie Troop, but Mother Nature put the kabosh on it. Tomorrow night is a Christmas party with church friends, where we have the "white elephant" exchange. This means I have to scour the house for an unwanted, preferably obnoxious, item to give away. Last year, Olivia contributed a purple pig bank that shook and said "FEED ME!" whenever you put money in. I was really sorry to see that thing go...

To close, I'll add my top 5 bummers and top 5 blessings from having (another) surgery:

Bummer: Need help fastening bra Blessing: Sports bras!!
Bummer: itchy stitches Blessing: Straw trick Olivia saw on Curious George!
Bummer: Messy House Blessing: I don't care!
Bummer: Feeling icky Blessing: Getting phone calls and prayers from friends
Bummer: Not being able to cook Blessing: Not being able to cook!

Thanks to all for your calls and prayers, they were very much appreciated!!

4 comments:

Brown Family said...

Hiya Debbie, Lafayette, and Olivia!

First: Thanks for the Christmas card, love the picture of Olivia, she's grown so much! Just adorable!!

Second: Glad to hear Lafayette is healing nicely from his knee surgery. Sorry to hear about your second! surgery on the other elbow, OWWIE!! LOL! Had to laugh about your five "bummer and blessing"...getting dressed with one hand would be hard, no?

Nice blog by the way...will have to catch up on all the reading to be up to speed.

Blessings to you all!

Love, Gladys (Kevin)
Cousins in WA State.

Debbie said...

So great to hear from you Gladys! I'm sure your boys are all grown up! Sorry it's been so long since we've seen you...darn that distance!!

Take care and please give our love to all!

Jeannie said...

If you can't cook do you need someone to get juice boxes & mini corn dogs for you?

I can help when we get back. I'm off to the Caribbean in the morning!

Christy said...

Loved the "bummers and blessings!"

Getting caught up on my blog reading...love hearing all your news!